Saturday, April 01, 2006

April 1st, Part One: My Secret


For 6 years, I have kept a secret--my son, Fernando. On the way to work one day, I noticed a basket near the entrance of a neighborhood church. Inside, I found an infant boy. Amazingly, the ABBA song "Fernando" began playing in my head. I knew immediately I had to keep him as my own.

It has not been easy. In the early years, like a cat jealous for affection, Fernando would often poop in my camera bag. You see, I had to skimp on buying him toys in order to purchase cameras and accessories to maintain my professional career. Fernando poop would get on me when I reached inside for film or whatnot. Clients and models would recoil in horror if I would attempt to shake their hands or touch things on the set. Though Fernando no longer soils my gear, he harbors an intense dislike for all things photographic.

Out of necessity, Fernando developed a remarkable imagination. In this recent photo, we see him playing "Rescue Engine" in which he dons his hand-stenciled t-shirt he made himself and becomes the rescue vehicle by holding wheels in his hands.

Click to see Fernando bare his TEETH to the camera.

7 comments:

Lana said...

Happy April Fools Day.

Matthew S. Urdan said...

I have never laughed so hard in my life! I'm a huge ABBA fan, and Fernando is one of my favorite songs. You know, last night when I was voting on the various battle, I saw your photo of the "View from the East River" and I took it at face value. I guess I was just voting for credits and not realizing it was April Fool's Day yet. Or perhaps, i was too busy thinking about what prank to pull on my own blog. But this morning, here I am, and I have never laughed so hard in my life.

If you like ABBA, check out these posts from my blog:

http://michiganrafter.blogspot.com/2006/03/of-fortune-cookies-and-politics.html

http://michiganrafter.blogspot.com/2006/03/of-fortune-cookies-and-politics.html

I wish more bloggers had a sense of humor about today....

Thanks Man, you made my day!

Meltwater. Torrents. Meanderings. Delta.

Matthew S. Urdan said...

That second link was supposed to be this:

http://michiganrafter.blogspot.com/2006/03/mamma-miahere-we-go-again.html

yellowdoggranny said...

i see fernando's need to poop on your things...got me again...

utenzi said...

That's a .... very interesting story.

Anonymous said...

is fernando and his personality a part of april fools day? im just curious...

Anonymous said...

cute fred